Saturday, November 27, 2010

Hoad Sweet Hoad

.

The very first photo I took in Ulverston way back in March 2009

Since last time Mumsy was here, we went on a whirlwind tour of England/Scotland, we decided to stay close to Ulverston.  I took her to some of my favorite places – Birkrigg Stone Circle, Gillams, Market Street and the Hoad.  Since I had already written about Birkrigg but somehow, inexplicably have only written a brief paragraph with no actual photos of the Hoad, I decided it would be the perfect subject for today’s blog.

Perhaps the most recognizable part of Ulverston is the Hoad.  In fact, it kept me from getting lost my very first day in Ulverston.  I decided to take the train to Kevin’s rather than have him pick me up and unwisely decided not to write down directions or even an address of Kevin’s brand new flat (that I had only been to once back in March on his house hunting trip).  Also, I had no idea where Ulverston was in relation to the other towns around me, and thus did not have any clue as to when would be an appropriate time to gather up my belongings and prepare to disembark the train.  However, as I looked out the window with jet lag forcing my eye lids closed, I saw the Hoad.  Just in front of the Hoad, I saw a 3 story blue building.  I assumed that Kevin was the only one with a blue building in that general location and thus I was able to get off the train in the right location and wander towards the Hoad in the direction of the blue building and find the flat. 

 

File:Sir John Barrow, 1st Bt by John Jackson.jpg

Built in 1850 from stones taken from Birkrigg Common (right down the road), the Hoad commemorates the life of Sir John Barrow – founder of the Royal Geographic Society.  For many years, he served in various countries as a foreign secretary.  Mini Deal would be interested in the fact that after the very short lived acquisition of the Cape of Good Hope, he served as a secretary in Cape Town, in charge of settling disputes between the Boers and the native Africans.

Fortunately for the Hoad but unfortunately for me, it has been wrapped in scaffolding since shortly after Kevin’s arrival in the UK for major repair works.  However, in August, the repair work was completed.

While I walk up the Hoad at least once a week while here, this week marked the first time I had seen it without junk all around it.  Needless to say, I have taken quite a few pictures.  Its unfortunate that the inside is only open on Sundays because I would have loved to take a walk up and see the panoramic views of the area.

View of the Hoad from Birkrigg Common.  Look at all the snow on the fells!  No wonder its so cold.

This morning it snowed and I rushed to take a photo.  Kevin was less impressed and greeted my cheers of “Snow!” with a grunt.  He’s still sleeping…

Mumsy enjoyed our hike up the Hoad as well.  Last time she was here, the weather was rainy and the Hoad was covered in scaffolding.  However, I made the rookie mistake of asking her which way she wanted to go to the top and she chose straight!

Sooo steep

Mumsy likes taking pictures of the Hoad as much as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment