Friday, November 26, 2010

Happy British Thanksgiving

 

Due to the fact that Kevin was VERY annoyed at my post on Thanksgiving, I’ve decided to try and appease him with a serious post about our delicious Thanksgiving dinner yesterday.  Note: I was too busy drooling over the food and talking to remember to take pictures, so I’ve stolen these great pictures from two lovely American wives Holly and Pat.

Braddylls Arms

For the third year in a row, the wonderful Braddylls Arms in Bardsea (just up the road from Kevin’s place in Ulverston) has hosted a Thanksgiving meal for the Americans over here.  The Braddylls is a great little restaurant with a beautiful view over Morecambe Bay and even better food.  We’ve eaten there several times and I have never been disappointed.  The food is well cooked and showcases locally sourced ingredients.  Therefore, when I heard that the annual Thanksgiving Feast was held at Braddylls, I was excited. (Last year, I cooked Thanksgiving for Mini, our dear friend Katie and some of our friends from Ulverston. Give Thanks 2009)

The proprietress June goes all out for this occasion, sourcing ingredients from France (pumpkins) when not available here and providing a variety of wonderful decorations for the room.  For me, one of the best parts was arriving early with the other “ladies of leisure” (aka unemployed American wives) to set up the room.  I think we did a fantastic job!

The food was, as expected, wonderful.  I especially enjoyed the real Creamed Corn (it was literally fresh cut corn in a cream sauce.  WAAAAAY better than the disgusting canned variety.)  It was great to spend Thanksgiving with friends and fellow countrymen (and a few Brits to boot).  I ‘m just sad that I couldn’t convince Kev to stay another year so that I could enjoy the food again next year.

The best thing on this plate was by far the sweet potatoes.  MMM

IMG_4132

We let a Brit carve our turkey.  Luckily (for him) he didn’t mess it up.

IMG_4139

One of two photos I actually took.  The girls next to me looked at me very strange when I pulled out a camera to document my food.  Little did they know that this is one of my hobbies.

Glorious pie!

 Somehow we wound up at the kids table.  I blame Jen.

No comments:

Post a Comment