Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Around Town

As I have been out doing something every day since I arrived, I thought I would spend the day wandering around Ulverston and catching up on some schoolwork. I set out for the World Peace Cafe which is about 5 minutes walk from Kevin's flat and had a pot of Red Bush tea (this is Tetley UK's version of Roiboos tea that they grow on their tea plantation in SA) figuring I would get a mug of tea and spend 15 minutes checking my email while drinking it. However, I was thrilled when it came as a whole tea pot worth with a pitcher of fresh sweet cream instead of milk. The Cafe itself was very relaxing and quiet, and it made a terrific start to the day.



Market Street in Ulverston

I set out towards Market Street with the intention of visiting all the quaint little shops I had seen. In particular, I wanted to visit this clothing shop with a dress that I had been eyeing for a week. I was hoping the dress was either cheap or would not fit. However, it turned out to be not so cheap (45 quid or 67ish dollars ) and fit perfectly. Of course, I bought it anyway. I couldn't help myself.

As it was almost lunch time, I decided to try the Farmer's Arms at the top of Market Street. They have a quaint little patio out front that looked like the perfect location to eat lunch on a gorgeous sunny day. As I glanced at the menu, I immediatly noticed a Brie, Chicken and cranberry sandwich which was calling my name. When it came, I was not disapointed, as it was glorious. It consisted of a bagette, halved and covered in butter. In the center were giant wedges of brie, moist chicken slices and homemade cranberry sauce. The whole thing was toasted until the baguette was nice and crispy and the brie was gooey and warm. When I get home, I am re-creating it at the next Trifecta dinner and a movie get together. I think I could eat it every day, but with slightly more cranberry sauce.

After a nice nap in the sun, I walked to Booth's to get some supplies for the dinner I had planned. Kevin won 5 pounds of pork in a Pub raffle two weeks earlier (only in England) so I was planning on cooking it with some sort of vegetable (or veg as they say here) and potato. I wandered around the store looking for marinade for the pork, but couldn't find anything -that is until I tried the barbeque aisle where I found Peri-Peri sauce! Peri Peri sauce is a glorious South African braai sauce that they put on everything. Cailin introduced me to it when we were in South Africa and I fell in love. She even was nice enough to buy me a bottle of the extra hot Peri Peri sauce to take home. I haven't used it yet because you can not get the stuff in the US and I don't want to use it all up. So, needless to say I was very VERY excited when I came across it at Booth's. Yet another reason why I love that store! I ended up getting some of my beloved Creme Fraiche to make garlic and chive mashed potatoes (or mash as they would call it here). In addition, I grabbed a package of carrot and parsnip mash to try. They are obsessed with grinding things up (pretty much anything you can smash up goes) and calling it mash. Nevertheless it was delicious!

5 comments:

  1. OMG PERI PERI SAUCE!! And it is even Nando's peri peri sauce!!! Did Kevin call is glorious because I think it is! Oh and can you see if they have the really really hot peri peri sauce? My friend Jason LOVES hot things (more than you) and I wanted to see how well he could stand the hot peri peri sauce. I can't believe you didn't tell me about this on the phone!!!
    <3 you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also forgot to mention that I got so excited about seeing the picture of Nando's peri peri sauce that I squealed (yes squealed) in lab. And I do like that dress and yes...I do want to steal it but unfortunately, it will not fit because you have big boobs and I have none.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They have HOT peri peri sauce. Is this the really hot stuff? I can buy you some if you want. I plan on buying myself some as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cailin should spend more time doing school work and less commenting on your blogs. That being said its awesome that he won pork at a pub raffle, and that he managed not to eat it already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Kevin won 5 pounds of pork in a pub raffle." That is uber-glorious. I want to move to England.

    ReplyDelete