Friday, May 29, 2009

Tut Tut, It Looks Like Rain...

...or maybe not. Today, I decided to check out the little seaside village of Grange-Over-Sands. On the train from Manchester to Ulverston, I had seen the town, its estuaries and its sheep inhabitants and was dying to photograph it. The morning started out in traditional Ulverston fashion - dismal, dreary and gray. Naturally, I outfitted myself in hiking boots, long pants and a rain coat and boarded the train to Grange-Over-Sands. However, once I arrived in Grange-Over-Sands, the sun emerged and the sheep went into hiding. Determined not to let that deter me, I decided to walk through the town and along the estuary walk, sweltering and wishing for sheep sightings.

Promenade

The town has a quaint feel to it, but the real beauty is the walk along the estuary walk. Built in the early 1900s, the promenade covered the unsightly drainage pipes for the town of Grange-Over-Sands. Today, its a beautiful paved walkway that runs almost 2 miles along the Morcombe Bay Coastline and is populated with coastal birds, marshes, and grazing sheep, unless I happen to be there wanting to photgraph them. Nevertheless, the town is picturesque, and worth a visit if you have a half day to spare.
Duck Pond
I love English gardens!





Finally, the Elusive Sheep.

1 comment:

  1. Splendid day to be up and about one's business, eh? Oh bother, where have all of the sheep gone? Stuff and fluff!
    Maybe they have lost their tails -
    It's not much of a tail, but they're sort of attached to them!

    Think think think .... maybe a sssmall sssmackerel of english honey would be the ticket! :)

    ReplyDelete