Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Old Man and the Lake



On the third nice day in a row, Kevin and I decided to head to Coniston and hike up to the top of Coniston Old Man. Hiking (or walking as they call it here) is a huge past time in the lakes region. Back in the early 1900s, a man named Alfred Wainwright hiked, catalogued and wrote a series of books about 214 fells (hills/mountains) located in England's lakes region. A popular past time is to hike the fells and try and "bag a Wainwright" by hiking all 214 of the fells catalogued by Wainwright. Standing 2635 ft high, Coniston Old Man is considered an "easy" fell so we thought it would make a nice start.

We set out early this morning to beat the heat, and once again did not properly prepare foodwise. We did however manage to bring water, but no map. Luckily, the English are very friendly towards American tourists who wait until they have been hiking 30 minutes to make sure they are going the correct way. The fell has a "touristy route" and an alternate route. We (unintentionally) chose the alternate route on the way up. Some of it involved gradual sloping paths, but alot of it involved scrambling over loose slate. The hike up went through a former slate mine in operation since the Norman Invasion, which was neat to see. Half way up, I thought I was in trouble. "If this is an easy fell, I would hate to see a hard one." However, we made it up to the top and the view was lovely. Once up at the top, you can continue along the ridgeline and hit two more fells on the way down, or simply descend. I would have liked to keep going, but as I mentioned before, we forgot snacks, and the journey was about 8 hours. I'm thinking of convincing Katie to try the 3 fell trip with me when she comes in November. However, I'll remember snacks then.



Katie and I's route in November?

















I am tired and mad that the camera was being wonky

Coniston Lake from the top of Old Man

It was pretty clear today, so you could see Morcombe Bay in the distance. Luckily, we asked a nice couple if there was another way down since I am freakishly afraid of heights and was dreading the climb down. This is when we learned of the "touristy" way which was much shorter and much easier, but not as picturesque. Once we managed to safely navigate up and back down the slate filled slopes, I fell on tar of all places and banged myself up. Typical Amanda. At least I didn't fall in the pile of sheep crap in the middle of the road.



We grabbed a quick pub grub meal and headed down to Coniston lake (while Kevin grumbled that he was tired and his feet hurt). The lake is the 3rd largest in the lake district and was full of sailboats and kayakers. I'll have to take my mom there if she comes for a kayaking trip around the lake, which looked like great fun.



I'm now exhausted, but glad I hiked at least one of the fells. One down, 213 to go...


http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AZsmLls0cMmLso&emid=sharshar&linkid=link5&cid=EMsharshar

4 comments:

  1. Don't be so mean to Lester. He shouldn't be made to exercise so much without beer and snacks. You are going to kill the poor boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm...what about me when I come in November? I better be allowed to hike too!!! Would say kayaking but it will be too cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to hike AND kayak AND then stop for a spot of tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cailin, I think Katie is coming in a day or two before you, so I figured we could hike one of the days you weren't here. I thought it would be mean to make you go on a 8 hour hike the day after you flew somewhere. I would know since we hiked Table Mountain the first day i was in SA:)

    ReplyDelete