Thursday, May 28, 2009

Make Way for Ducklings


This morning started out with sunny skies and not a cloud in site - a rare thing for Ulverston. I quickly jumped in the shower, only to emerge with dismal, cloudy skies and a bit of drizzle - a normal day. Determined not to let that deter me, I decided to check out the Canal Walk.

Built in the late 1700s, the canal was designed for building boats and trading. A tow path was created along the side of the canal for horses to pull the completed ships out to Morcombe Bay, where they gained access to the ocean. Once the railway was built and the shipping buisness boomed in Barrow (where Kevin is working building ships), the canal stopped being used. GlaxoSmithKline now owns it, but the tow path is still open for foot traffic.

The canal, once used to build ships, is now lined with reeds and is filled with ducks, geese and swans which I saw plenty of.










This Mom and baby ducks thought I was going to feed them and made a bee-line towards me. Unfortunately, all that was waiting them was an eager Norwich terrier.


The canal ends at Morcombe Bay. Across the bay, there is a train bridge that reminds me of the Hogwarts Express from Harry Potter. I kept looking around for Hogwarts, but being a Muggle, I couldn't find it.












For the rest of the pictures, check out the link below

No comments:

Post a Comment