Monday, August 23, 2010

Will the Real Pemberley Please Stand Up?

When I initially booked my trip out to see Kevin for my semester break, we went back and forth as to where we would go for a trip. Norway. No, Spain. No, Germany. The problem lay in the fact that Kevin had limited vacation time and all the places I kept coming up with to visit deserved at least a week’s visit. So, when Kevin suggested a trip to the South to visit his friends Pete and Mel and also Bath, I quickly agreed. While Bath itself is a fascinating old town full of Roman and Victorian history, its main draw for me is its association with Jane Austen. I’m not sure what it is about her, but she has the uncanny ability to draw all females in with her witty banter and dark, brooding men. This attraction, however, does not extend to the male part of our species. I knew that Kevin was sure to be unhappy about visiting places solely for the reason that they were associated with Jane Austen, so I decided to start introducing places to visit gradually in the hopes that he not notice the association. When I started researching places to visit in or around Bath that were connected to Jane Austen, the first place that appeared was a country estate called Lyme Park located just outside Manchester – the site of Pemberley for the BBC (and my personal favorite) adaptation of Pride and Prejudice.

image

Mr. Darcy’s Pemberley

IMG_3439

My Pemberley

While I was excited upon seeing Lyme Park looming as we drove up in our car, the first thing I really noticed was the setting of the famous “Mr. Darcy Goes Swimming” scene. While Kevin may share Mr. Darcy’s penchant for grumpiness, he apparently doesn’t share his love of swimming as he downright refused to re-enact my favorite scene for the sake of my photographic documentation of the trip.

IMG_3396

As I was merely interested in its connection to Pride and Prejudice and none of the interior Pemberley shots were actually filmed at Lyme park, we decided to forgo a tour of the house and instead take a stroll through the gardens.

IMG_3406 IMG_3414

IMG_3442 View of the Derbyshire countryside

On the way down south to Surrey lay Pemberley #2, Chatsworth House. Considered by many to be Jane Austen’s inspiration for Pemberely, it also served as the filming location for the far inferior Keira Knightley movie adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. Driving up to Chatsworth House, I could see exactly why many thought it the true Pemberley of Jane Austen’s day.

IMG_3459IMG_3510

The house made Lyme Park look like a summer cottage and the gardens extended for acres. Much of the gardens were done by the famous gardeners Capability Brown (in the 1700s) and Joseph Paxton (in the 1800s).

IMG_3478

IMG_3488 IMG_3477 One of the first heated greenhouses – built by Paxton in 1842

In addition, the grounds contained a very “Labyrinth” like maze (sadly lacking David Bowie, but containing a very strange Kevin).

IMG_3495

IMG_3498

Again, we decided to forgo the house tour for several reasons:

1) We still had a 3 hour drive down to Surrey and it was already 3 pm.

2) It already cost over 7 pounds a piece just to enter the gardens and we didn’t want to give any more of our money to the the Duke of Devonshire.

3) Colin Firth never set foot in the house and therefore it is inconsequential.

If I had the trip to do over again, I would have taken a few photos of the house, admired the pond that once held the dreamy Colin Firth and skipped the gardens at Lyme Park in order to head to Chatsworth House and spend several hours strolling through the gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment