Friday, August 13, 2010

Vineyard, Vineyard, Woop Woop

I had meant to keep up the blog with things that I was doing stateside, but then realized I don’t really do anything since I’m busy with school.  However, I did get a chance to do a few cool things this summer.

 

Whenever I talk to people  about Kevin being overseas, most of them tend to say the same thing. “Oh, you must be so lonely.”  While I do miss him a great deal (nobody have a heart attack), I’m lucky to have a really great group of friends on my side of the pond that keep me laughing and don’t give me a chance to miss Kevin.  Katie and John have been especially wonderful at feeding me.  Although I LOVE to cook, its no fun to cook a big meal just for yourself, and so I have a tendency to eat random things like a sautéed squash and nothing else for dinner.  John feels sorry for me (and secretly wants my praise of his cooking) and invites me over for delicious meals like Texas Chili, his famous turkey burgers or whatever else suits his fancy that night. 

image John’s most recent creation – Baked Texas Chili and fresh sweet corn with polenta.

Another wonderful thing Katie and John (besides the fact that they feed me and have two of the cutest dogs outside of the von Schnauzers)  is the fact that they love to share their house out on Martha’s Vineyard with friends. 2 years ago, Katie and John invited a  group of us (Kevin and I, Mini Deal, Doyle, Amy, Noe, and Katie/John’s friends Chad and Sara) out to their house for the weekend.  From the second we got in the car, the weekend was fantastic.  Even Kevin, who is normally grumpy , had a great time.  Last summer during the  2nd annual Vineyard weekend, we unfortunately were lacking the Woop Wooping Kevin and the skunk King Doyle, but gained Mini’s boyfriend Jason who was a great addition to our group.  This year, we made a trip out for my birthday with the best Vineyard crew so far: Katie and John, myself, my BMF (best male friend) Doyle, and my absolutely awesome college friends Nicole, Joey and Natalie.

 

There is an art to Vineyarding that I think I may have perfected after my third year. 

  1. Get up really early and try and catch the first ferry out.  (Unless you are a dedicated grad student like Katie – then you catch a later boat).  Catching the first ferry out is always fun because you have the whole car ride to Falmouth to listen to great road trip music (SO-L-O!) and get prime parking.  It may not be a great idea if you have a friend who is habitually late, as I do. 

image 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kevin’s bff John has replaced him with JoJo.  Poor Kevin…

image

OMG! Natalie actually made the right boat this year!

  1. Eat your first meal on the island at  Lookout Tavern.  Its right near the ferry dock, has great views, cold beer and fantastic sushi.  Its especially fun if you are with ghetto fabulous friends who have never had sushi before.

image

Wat a gwann with this food? 

  1. Work on your napping skills.  The back porch or beach are great places to practice this.

 

image

So sleeeepy

image

John doesn’t need practice napping

  1. Play a rousing game of Pirate Life or “Guess the name on your forehead”.  Always a hit (unless you are a complete wierdo and hate games).

image

The BFFs even managed to both get “Hayley Williams” as their card.

image

This one was funny when Joey asked “Am I a musician” and I snorted.  Steering wheel drums do NOT count. 

  1. Come up with one or more inside jokes that last the whole weekend and maybe even longer.  This year, we chose to go with the sound of Vuvuzelas, the phrases “GET LOST” and pretty much anything vampire related.

    image

    we take our teen vampire movies seriously.

    image

What’s that?  Katie prefers a Kindle?  GET LOST!

image

Finger mustaches are the greatest idea ever

Overall, best year so far at the Vineyard, and a great way to spend time in true New England style.  I’m looking forward to next year already!

No comments:

Post a Comment